Eight Misperceptions About Contemporary Art
In an effort to “give the gallery-goer a few tools to make sense of what they see,” Johnson, who also blogs at the wonderful Art Fag City, has constructed a list of myths about contemporary art. We’ve included a crib sheet below, but you really ought to read her rundown of each item.
Paddy Johnson’s “Eight Fallacies About Contemporary Art”:
1. This work generated so much discussion, it must be good!
2. Anything can be art!
3. Value is completely subjective.
4. Anyone could do that.
5. Elitism rules the art world.
6. Pioneering artists are “ahead of their time.”
7. I don’t know enough about art to talk about it.
8. Art professionals wear black.
Glam It Up With Midnight Opera
Watch Midnight Opera perform songs from their debut album “The Mesmerist.”
Quitter #7: May
Part five of the chapbook Quitter #7.
Pleasantly Vexed With Erik Satie
Christian Williams muses on the importance of mindfulness through a performance of Erik Satie’s “Vexations.”